TUM: Junge Akademie - preparing young talents to further the development of an advanced society
We train our members to act as open minded, responsible and reflective individuals, who provide constructive impulses to society by applying their intellectual potential.
We challenge our members to engage in ambitious and socially relevant projects and initiatives.
We empower our members' personal development by offering workshops, interdisciplinary exchange, and cultural activities.
We connect our members with a boundary-spanning network of faculty members, experts and talented students.
We encourage creative freedom, unconventional ideas, analytical thinking, and the consideration of scientific insights
The 20-month scholarship program of the TUM: Junge Akademie aims to awaken students’ enthusiasm for research and science at a young age and allows them to make early experiences in the field of scientific project management.
Intrinsic motivation, curiosity and a sense of responsibility make up the key characteristics of the academy’s members. We expect them to be driven by a desire to discover and to explore new grounds, thus experiencing all the ups and downs that are a part of this difficult process. To prepare them for this task, our members learn to take over responsibility by considering questions such as: What influence will my research have on society? What will I be able to contribute, when I am in a position of social responsibility in the future?
During the beginning of the scholarship, our members organize themselves in teams of about 6 to 10 people. They develop a project on a topic of their choosing, which orientates itself along the theme of the yearly project call. For the entire 20-month journey, the teams are then supported by mentors and tutors, putting them in the position to meet the scientific standard, which projects are subjected to throughout the scholarship period.
In addition to project work, our members actively participate in the shaping of scholarship life through their engagement in one of our Taskforces. This includes the planning of excursions, events and taking care of the academy’s contacts to external partners. Incorporating our members into the organization allows everybody the opportunity to make a positive mark on the scholarship programme.
The scholarship holders come together to several weekend-seminars which last 2-3 days to further develop their projects.
- Kick-Off Start into the new year, team building, topic identification
- FutureLab I Research, development of hypotheses, finding methods
- Workshop Intermediate Evaluation I Presentation of scientific insights, project management
- Symposiums-Planungswochenende Development of a concept for the final symposium, based on the year’s call
- Workshop Intermediate Evaluation II Status of planning or execution of applied project/study/experiment
- FutureLab II Change-management and sustainability
- Workshop Intermediate Evaluation III Science communication and reporting: preparation for final report in yearbook
- Symposium Scientific event to discuss and reflect on the year’s call and projects
- Projektabschlusswochenende Conclusion, feedback & evaluation, certificate delivery
Please find our current flyer here (2 Mbyte)