Education - LETO
Who we are
We are a diverse team of six highly motivated students of TUM who want to improve online learning by basing it on personal relations.
How we want to improve online learning
The COVID-19 Pandemic has drastically increased the speed of digitalization and has put online learning into the center of attention of millions of students, scientific staff and professors in German universities. Yet, the current progress in digitalization of learning has not only made it more efficient, less costly and more environmentally friendly, it has also introduced all involved to a variety of challenges.
Our group wants to tackle one such challenge, namely, making online learning as much fun as offline learning. We have identified key factors that make learning fun, which emerge naturally in classical offline learning environments, but are hard to establish in online learning environments:
- Having face to face contact with knowledgeable people
- Hanging out with other students while learning
- Meeting new interesting people
We want to make the aforementioned behaviors more accessible to online learners to shrinken the gap between online and offline learning. To do so, we plan to create an online platform that matches people with similar learning demands together to re-introduce peer support and social learning to those that are lacking it.
By our second poster session in June 2022, we will have launched a platform to match at least 100 TUM students based on their courses and learning styles. The service will enable students to organize their learning more effectively.
Our approach to solving the problem
A naive outlook:
- Interviewing a variety of students to better understand the problems of online learning
- Looking at scientific research dealing with online learning
- Filtering the research
Yet to be implemented subgoals:
- Applying abstract research to our concrete problem
- Building an online platform to connect learners
- Testing the platform's acceptance
- Nicolay Gerold / TUM SoM (former)
- Panarit Jahiri / Informatics
- Zoya Kozlova / TUM EDU (former)
- Philipp Patzelt / Sport and Health Sciences
- Sara-Luisa Reh / TUM Medicine / Informatics
- Valentin Roth / TUM SoM
- Wolf Thieme / Informatics
- Luca Mattes Wiehe / TUM SoM
- Matthias Lehner / TUM EDU
- Elena Tangocci / TUM EDU